Hello there! Thanks for thinking I'm interesting enough to check up on. If you've come this far, I encourage you to say hello before you leave :)
My research is broadly about usable security and privacy. I study factors that prevent people from adopting security and privacy protective measures, as well as the unique threat models and safety needs of at-risk populations (e.g., survivors of intimate partner violence and older adults). Based on such knowledge, I develop human-centered solutions that combine technology, policy, and education to help people protect themselves from perceived risks. My research has been published at top HCI and security venues including CHI, CSCW, and USENIX Security. I'm also interested in making my research relevant to policymakers: I've been an invited speaker at the US Federal Trade Commission's annual PrivacyCon, and a series of work with my CMU collaborators has directly influenced the California Consumer Privacy Act's rulemaking process.
I will be joining the Max Planck Institute for Security and Privacy in January 2023 as a tenure-track faculty member! I'll have several openings for postdocs, PhD students, and research interns for my group at MPI-SP. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you are interested in working with me. To get an overview of my research interests and mentoring philosophy, please check out my [Research Statement] [Teaching Statement] [Diversity Statement].
Selected Honors and Awards
- Annual Privacy Papers for Policymakers Award: Student Paper Honorable Mention, Future of Privacy Forum (2021)
- Best Paper Honorable Mention, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (2019, 2020)
- Facebook Fellowship Finalist (2020, 2021)
- NortonLifeLock Research Group Graduate Fellowship (2019)
- Distinguished Paper Award, Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (2018)
- Jun 2022 My dissertation defense is scheduled to happen on August 24. I am both excited and terrified O.O
- Jun 2022 I will be attending SOUPS 2022 in person! Looking forward to having fun in Boston. My co-authors and I have a paper "Aunties, Strangers, and the FBI: Online Privacy Concerns and Experiences of Muslim-American Women" (led by Tanisha Afnan).
- May 2022 Finished my job search and accepted a tenure-track faculty position at MPI-SP. Yay!
- May 2022 Had a great time at CHI 2022 in New Orleans. Check out the video presentation of our work on "Trauma-Informed Computing: Towards Safer Technology Experiences for All."
- Jan 2022 I led a series of workshops to teach the general public about online self-defense as part of the Privacy@Michigan event.